When we moved into this house...one of the things that we were really excited about was the great garden space that it had. It was already there...all it was waiting for was Spring and us to plant some yummy stuff in there! The funny thing is how excited Josh and I were to have a garden and neither one of us had ever planted one before. :-) Our ward at church had something set up where we could get our plants for really cheap, I think we spent a total of $7.00 for our plants. We tried to stick with things that we knew we liked and would use.
This year we planted watermelon, cantaloupe, corn, pumpkins, three kinds of tomatoes, Anaheim peppers, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini and cucumbers. Of those, our cucumbers, spaghetti squash, zucchini and Anaheim peppers are already producing! Our cantaloupe, pumpkins, tomatoes, and both bell peppers are growing, but they aren't ready for picking yet. We haven't seen anything from our acorn squash or watermelons...but I still have hope. Our corn we planted fairly late, so we aren't expecting anything from them for a while, but the stocks are coming up great!
I have to say that overall we have been pretty successful in our first attempt at gardening. We are constantly making a mental list (which really needs to translate into a written list or we are NEVER going to remember) of things that we can change or improve upon for next year. I definitely want to try to document our gardening experience from start to finish next year, mainly for our own information so we can continue to improve and make our garden work for us the best it can!
Here's a little peak at today's bounty! It's just a few things, and I have a feeling that in the next few weeks we are going to have TONS of stuff ready all at once! :-)
One green zucchini, one spaghetti squash, two Anaheim peppers and two cucumbers!! YUMMY!






0 comments:
Post a Comment