Monday, February 11, 2008

Contractions and RLS

So I called Jenn last night because I was having such intense contractions that I thought I was going to die! They came on SO fast and honestly, it was a miracle I made it from the car to my room. I swear I'm really not a whimp when it comes to contractions and I was crying, it was hurting me so bad. I had called Jenn because I couldn't remember what to do to stop contractions. The first thing that came to mind was drink water and lay on my left side, but then I started second guessing myself and thinking maybe that's what I was supposed to do if I hadn't felt the baby move in a while. So Jenn confirmed that I was correct. Timmy got me some water and Josh got me the heating pad for my back. Jessica came upstairs after I had talked to mom because mom was just certain that I needed to call my dr right away. So Jess called the on call service and my dr called me back in about 10 mins. I told him what had happened and that it felt like it did when I was in labor with Ryan. He said that definitely wasn't good. He asked me how many contractions I'd had in an hour and I told him at least 10. He said that REALLY wasn't good. He asked if after an hour if they had intensified or subsided, I told him that after about 45 mins of laying down, they had definitely subsided but not gone away. He then said that I was doing the right thing and that if they were subsiding, then I should be okay. He also said that 6 or fewer contractions in an hour is fine, but any more than that and I needed to go straight to the hospital. He said that it was unlikely, but not unheard of that someone who had a successful, full term pregnancy would go into preterm labor SO early. He told me he would probably check me at my appt on Wednesday to make sure that I wasn't dialating, but that for the rest of the night I need to "stay quiet, stay down and stay calm". And also until Wednesday he wanted me to keep track of the intesity and frequecy of any contractions that I have and to take it easy until then. So yeah, that really sucked, but it's better today.

Also, I have been fighting with leg cramps and RLS. The RLS keeps me awake at night and the cramps wake me up from a dead sleep. I've been drinking TONS of water, but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. While I was in bed last night, I moved the heating pad from my back to behind my knees and that helped the RLS, so maybe I will just have to keep doing that. Any advice anyone has for RLS and leg cramps is very much welcome! So I think that covers my night last night, hopefully nothing like that will happen again, until it's actually time to have the baby! :-)

6 comments:

rachel

PAULA!
What the heck?? I can't believe you were having such horrible contractions last night. Oh my gosh. I'm glad they slowed down. You take it easy today for sure.
And I thought leg cramps and RLS was the worst for you...
I love that you used your heating pad on your legs for the RLS. I'll have to try that. I had it so bad again last night. I get it in my arms, too... do you ever?
Take it easy today.
Love you.

Paula

Rachel,
I remember you telling me you got it in your arms also. I've never had that happen to me. But honestly having the heating pad behind my knees helped SO much! I think it just helped my legs relax. I'm definitely going to be taking it easy today, I really thought I was going to die! I just don't know what brought them on like that, it was crazy! But definitely try the heating pad thing! Love you!

Kirsten

Oh Paula that just makes me sick that you have to worry about this. I will keep you in my prayers. Stay down, maybe you and Jenn can be on bed rest together and just talk on the phone all day to keep eachother company. Keep me posted and let me know if you need anything. I am so glad that you have all of your roomies to help out : ) Love you!!!!

Emy

Hey Paula I am so glad you called your doc. We will be keeping you in our prayers too.

Paula

Thanks Kirsten!! :-) Josh wouldn't even let me lift the groceries! He's being funny. Love you!

Paula

Thanks so much Emy!